Monday, December 26, 2011

Mentor Text

                For my mentor text, I read the P.G. Wodehouse book ‘The code of the Wooster. This book was recommended to me by Ms. Kennett, and is a funny little book.  It is from the series of books that firsts introduced the trope of an intelligent British butler.  The plot of the book is very interesting, and I hope everyone who reads this blog post tries to give it a read. Why is this book so special you may ask? Well, it manages to strike a balance between having a very complicated and detailed plot while at the same time having great comedic aspects.

                The main character in the book is a man named Bertie Wooster.  His Auntie Dahlia asks him to procure a silver cow creamer from an antique dealer, and in the process of helping his family out.  Her goal is to get the owner of the store to lower the price of the item so her husband can buy it. From there is goes off into a thing of madness, with the read being just as confused as to what is going on as the characters actually experiencing the events.  But as you reach the end, you begin to truly realize what the book is about, and the true message hidden behind all of the silliness the book has to offer. It really is a touching little ending to the book, on e I really approve of. Now, I think I did a good job of explaining the key reasons I liked the book without giving too much away, now to explain how I will incorporate some of these elements into my own story.

                Overall, I would say that my story is a comedy. And like Code of the Woosters, I prefer when my comedy is more dry, subtle and intelligent than some of the popular comedy of today’s age.  Also, one of my main characters is British. Lord Cobblesworth, the antagonist of my story is as you would suspect of British decent. I can use this book as a reference for when I actually am writing some of the dialogue for the story.  One last thing I want to take from the Code of the Woosters is how the book portrays the final message of the book. It isn’t obvious at first, and the reader has to go through the entire book to finally ‘get it’. I want the same kind of feeling in my story, the same kind of last take away that will leave the reader satisfied. That would really be great. 

No comments:

Post a Comment